What Are Progressive Lenses?
What comes to your mind when you hear the word progressive lenses? Well, these are one step up for bifocal or trifocal lenses. Basically, progressive lenses gives you three prescription lenses inside one single lens minus the telltale lines in the lenses. So if you need glasses to read a book or work on a computer or go out driving, all you need is one progressive lens fitted glasses- three glasses in one!
These progressive lenses are also sometimes called multifocal lenses. What makes them different from bifocal or trifocal lenses? Well the latter lenses are more traditional type of lenses with a defining line between the lenses. While with the progressive lenses, you get a more seamless look which is definitely a better thing to have!
So, if you are looking for different strengths in your eyeglasses to see near and far objects but do not want a line, then you should definitely opt for progressive or multifocal lenses.
Progressive Lenses- Sections
- The upper section- this section of the progressive lens helps you see clearly in the distance.
- The middle section- this section gives you the strength to see objects clearly at intermediate or middle distance.
- The lower section- the lowermost section provides you strength to see close off objects clearly.
Who Need Progressive Lenses?
Usually, people over the age of 40 who are having trouble focusing on nearby objects as well as objects in distance are ones who require no line bifocals or no line trifocals, also known as progressive lenses.
Progressive lenses can also be used for children to control increasing nearsightedness as well as farsightedness in them!
Benefits of Progressive Lenses
- One Pair For Multifocal Needs
First and foremost benefit of progressive lens is that you need just one pair of eyeglasses for your different needs! As a matter of fact, you don’t need to carry second pair of eyeglasses for focusing at nearby or objects in distance.
- No Multifocal Line
With multifocal or progressive lenses, there is a gradual shift in strength of lens, so you are not bombarded with a sudden shift in focus that one gets with bifocal or trifocal lenses with a defining line. With progressive lenses, you get one pair of seamless lens with multiple strengths.
- Youthful Appearance
Usually, people associate bifocal or trifocal lenses with age. But with progressive lenses, there is no visible line on the lenses! So you get a chance to choose from stylish pair of eyeglasses for yourself which are no different than regular looking pair of eyeglasses.
However, with every pro there also comes a con that makes you think twice before buying progressive lenses. For example, progressive lenses does not come cheap. But any price is less for a multifocal strength lens right? And it is also not easy to adjust to these type of lenses. It takes time. So here, we are giving certain tips to adjust to progressive lenses quickly.
Tips To Adjust To Progressive Lenses:-
- Give yourself time to adjust to these new progressive lenses. Some people might take one to two weeks, while others may even take longer, say a month!
- Pay attention to what your doctor has to say about using these progressive lenses.
- Try wearing your new lenses as often as possible and stop using any other type of eyeglasses.
- Choose a website that offers excellent optical guidance on how to choosing the right type of progressive lenses on right kind of frame.
Yourspex.com offers excellent support and guidance to its users on finding the right frame and lens for their eyes at affordable prices. Do give them a try while buying specs online!